Many thanks for taking the time to visit and welcome to this Plum Meerkat Swing Set review which will help give you a much better understanding on the features, pros and cons for this particular swing set before you decide to buy it. Our focus will be to outline all the dimensions that are involved also so that it can be planned properly in your back garden, provide some assembly tips and various images to help you to also get an overview on the main features that it has to offer.
In addition, we will also outline various frequently asked questions that have come up that should deal with any possible queries that you may have. If at the end of this review, you are still undecided, then take a look also at the alternatives suggested at the end of this page.
Before we start, please note that guide prices can only be submitted at the time of this review as prices can change from week to week or month to month depending on local discount activities so please make sure to view the price checkers provided below to ensure you have the most accurate up to date price information. This review is split out into 4 parts outlined as follows:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Review of Features, Pros and Cons
- Outline of Alternatives for Consideration (plus Video summary)
Part 1: Plum Meerkat Swing Set Review Overview:
|Model:||Plum Meerkat Wooden Swing Set|
|Orders online:||Yes, orders accepted online with home delivery|
|Warranty:||10 year wood warranty against decay / rot / insect damage (1 year other parts)|
|Price Range:||£400 up to £450 (at the time of this review)|
|Cheapest Place to Buy:||Amazon UK – View current stock availability here|
Part 2: Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the thickness of the beams?
A. The top beam thickness is 100mm in diameter and the leg thickness are 80mm in diameter
Q. How long does it takes to assemble it?
A. On average it will take 2 adults 3 to 6 hours to complete
Q. Can the heights of the swings be adjusted?
A. Only the swing seat can be adjusted. The air glider height cannot be adjusted
Q. Can toddler swing seats be used to replace the swing seat?
A. Yes, a toddler swing seat be used to replace the standard swing seat
Q. How long is the slide?
A. The slide is 6 feet long
Q. What age group is it suitable for?
A. The age recommendation is 3 to 12 years (though many report it should be 3 to 10 years)
Q. What is the full size?
A. When assembled, the dimensions to plan for are Length 3.35 by Width 3.29 by Height 2.20m
Q. What additional area is needed for the safety play zone?
A. As a guide, a 2 metre perimeter around the swing is needed for the safe play zone
Q. Do you need to drill the holes for the swings?
A. No, there are metal brackets that circulate the outer surface as outlined in the image below
Q. Can it be used in a non residential setting?
A. No, as it will not be covered by the warranty. It is intended for residential use only.
Q. What is the size of the deck?
A. The size of the upper deck is Length 0.55m by Width 1.41m by Height 0.90m
Q. What is the maximum weight allowed on the seats for both the swing and the glider?
A. The maximum weight capacity for the glider is 70kg (35kg / user) and 50kg for the swing seat
Q. Does it need to be concreted into the ground?
A. For peace of mind, yes you need to cement them in to prevent rocking / tilting with high swinging
Part 3: Plum Meerkat Swing Set Review - Features / Pros vs Cons
Main Features Available:
- Age suitability is 3 to 12 years
- 2 seat swing air glider, one swing seat and ground anchors are included.
- Wave robust slide 6 ft long and a small upper deck area
- Knotted climber rope which is soft for small hands
- Stepped ladder to climb to the upper deck
- Cross braces are used in the swing frame for extra stability
- Constructed with premium FSC certified and pressure treated timber
- Assembled dimensions are L3.35 by W3.29 by H2.20m
- Diameter of the top beam is 100mm and the legs are 80mm
- Maximum weight capacity on the slide and the swing seat is 50kg and 70kg then for the glider (35kg per user)
- In terms of price, the cost when last seen on sale was in the £400 to £450 region which of course can be double checked below
Additional images are outlined below:
Main Pros Outlined:
- The swing seat is made from good quality material, heavy duty blow moulded and is hardened to withstand bad weather conditions
- The heights of the swing seats can be adjusted very easily by adjusting the ropes in the loops.
- Toddler swing seats can be added in if needed to replace the swing seat
- Ropes are soft feel and kind to children’s hands – no need to worry about metal chains and finger pinching
- There are the excellent cross braces for stability and swing attachments on the frames which helps a lot with the assembly and makes it a lot easier so no drilling is needed (integrity of the wood is protected)
- Wood used is premium FSC certified timber and is pressure treated to withstand harsh weather conditions
- Assembly instructions are excellent, easy to follow and takes only 3 to 6 hours (a lot shorter than many of the larger type swing or climbing frames)
Main Cons Outlined:
- Only 1 swing seat where many other swing sets have 2 swing seats available
- No upper deck roof be it a wooden roof or a vinyl canopy is available either
- Rope ladder climber can be very difficult to do so will sit idle a lot of the time (but good for building upper strength)
- No passenger swing, no sandbox or picnic bench table available either
- Further work of digging holes and cementing in the anchors provided will be required which takes a lot more time and hard graft and requires a certain level of skill
- On some occasions, some small parts such as screws /bolts were missing which is extremely annoying and delays assembly
- The plastic caps for the bolts can split when been applied too hard so add them to warm water prior to application to reduce the likelihood of them splitting
- Wave slide: 6 foot long
- Assembled dimensions: L3.35 by W3.29 by H2.20m
- Safety perimeter play zone: 2 metres surrounding
- Upper deck side: L0.55 by W1.41 by H0.90m
- Weight capacity for the swing seat is 50kg
- Weight capacity for the slide is 50kg
- Weight capacity for the glider is 70kg total
- Glider weights should be max 35kg per user
Part 4: Alternatives if Needed
If you wish to look beyond the Plum Meerkat Wooden Swing set, then feel free also to check out further popular Swing sets that may be of interest to you through the various reviews throughout this website.
Or compare the Swing Set from TP Toys UK here
Have you or your kids any personal experience with the Plum Meerkat Wooden Swing Set in the past? If so, then please share your thoughts and feedback with the wider UK community by leaving a comment in the comment section below – So that they can learn also!!!
Finally, many thanks for taking the time to read our review and best of luck to you and your children with your final decision