Are you considering buying a Plum Colobus Wooden Swing Set in 2021? If so, then make sure to check out this brief Plum Colobus Swing Set review which will help give you a much better understanding about the features, pros and cons for this particular wooden swing set before you decide to buy.
We will also outline all the dimensions that need to be planned properly in your back garden for the available space that you may have plus we will also include additional images to help give you an overview on the main features that it has to offer you and your child. This review will also outline several frequently asked questions that should help you out with any possible queries that you may have which will definitely be of interest to you and your family.
Firstly, please note be aware that guide prices can only be outlined at the time of this review as prices can change from week to week or month to month depending on local promotional activities so please make sure to view the price checkers provided below to ensure you have the most accurate up to date price information.
Alternatives are also suggested at the end of this page if you are still undecided after reading this review…
Content of this Review:
- Overview Points to Note
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Review of Features, Pros and Cons reported
- Price Comparisons & Alternatives for Consideration
Part 1: Plum Colobus Swing Set Review Overview:
|Model:||Plum Wooden Colobus Swing Set|
|Orders online:||Yes, orders accepted online with home delivery|
|Warranty:||5 years on wood against rot and decay, 12 months all other parts|
|Price Range:||£220 up to £270 (at the time of this review)|
|Cheap Place to Buy:||Amazon UK – View current stock availability here|
Part 2: Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can it be placed on paving, concrete or decking surfaces?
A. No, it must be placed on grass / soil type surfaces where holes can be dug for the anchors
Q. How thick are the swing ropes?
A. The swing ropes are 10mm in diameter (soft feel)
Q. What is the thickness of the top beam and the leg beams?
A. The thickness of the top beam is 100mm and the leg beams are 80mm in diameter
Q. Are anchors included and do they need to be cemented in?
A. Yes, anchors are included and it is recommended to concrete them in
Q. Do the swing seats need to be stored indoors?
A. Over the Winter months yes, so that the seats will last longer, so please remove the swing seats and store indoors when not in use for long periods of time such as the Winter months
Q. Can a toddler swing seat be added?
A. Yes, you can change the swing seat to a toddler seat if needed but you need to make sure you have the necessary attachments for suspension
Q. Can it be used in a non-residential setting?
A. No, as it will not be covered by warranty – it is for residential purposes only
Q. What is the weight allowed on this swing?
A. The maximum weight capacity for this swing is 50kg per swing seat and 70kg on the glider (35kg per user)
Q. What age group is it recommended for?
A. It is suitable for children aged between 3 and 12 years as a guide
Q. What is the size when fully assembled?
A. The size when fully assembled is 300cm by 220cm by 220cm
Q. What warranty is available?
A. They provide a 5 year wood warranty against rot/decay and 12 months on all other parts
Q. What safe play dimensions do I need to plan for?
A. You need to plan for a 2 metre perimeter around this swing set as a safe play zone
Q. How long does the assembly take?
A. On average, it will take 2 adults 2 hours work each to complete
Q. What additional tools are needed for assembly?
A. A mallet, screwdriver set, sockets, drill and spanners should suffice
Q. Do I need to treat the wood?
A. Not for a few years. If you live in an area with a lot of rain, then add a water sealant or wood stain for added protection and to brighten it up a bit
Part 3: Plum Wooden Colobus Swing Review - Features / Pros / Cons
Plum Colobus Wooden Double Swing & Glider Set
Main Features Available:
- Age suitability is 3 to 12 years and weighs 55kg
- Swing wooden frame that is premium FSC certified timber and pressure treated and it has 2 swings and also a 2 seat glider
- Includes the injection moulded robust and hard wearing swing seats
- Soft feel ropes are provided to be kind to hands
- Solid cross braces and corner brackets either side for extra stability
- Maximum weight capacity is 50kg per swing seat
- Maximum weight capacity for the glider is 70kg (35kg each)
- Meets child safety regulations and can be assembled in 2 to 4 hours by 2 adults
- Provides metal circle straps that circulate the top beam for the swings and glider (no drilling)
- Assembled dimensions are 300cm by 220cm by 220cm and 4 ground anchors are included along with installation procedures
- In terms of price, the price when last seen on sale with Amazon UK was in the £220 to £270 range which of course can be double checked below if needed
Main Pros Outlined:
- No need to drill the main top beam as the metal brackets surround the frame – this means there is no drilling which protects the integrity of the wood.
- Corner brackets and cross braces are made from reliable galvanised steel that are treated to prevent rust
- The assembly instructions are excellent and laid by step by step which can be completed in 2 hours if you have adequate assistance
- Much easier to assemble also as there are no complex additions such as steps, an upper deck or a slide to worry about – less parts meaning less assembly time
- The heights of the swing seats can easily be adjusted by adjusting the loops in the ropes and you can also add in a toddler seat if needed (sold separately)
- Overall a solid frame where the top beam is 100mm and the legs are 80mm as standard with anchors included with the necessary instructions
- Price level would be considered very good value for the quality of swing set you get without all the expensive addons
Main Cons Outlined:
- No climber ladder ropes are provided on the side be it a rope climber with knots or a rope step ladder.
- No 6 foot slide is included either with is offered under a different model with this brand (Meerkat)
- Plastic caps could be a little more sturdier as they tend to split if you apply them too hard. Ideally soften them in warm water and apply them gently.
- Slight crack lines in the wood which don’t affect the strength integrity of the wood (pressure treated) can be a bit of an eyesore at times
- Application of the anchors into cement requires an additional level of expertise and skill so you may need a handyman if you are not in a position to do it
- Further checking needs to be done to tighten the bolts – don’t just assume they don’t need to be touched after day 1 – retighten and recheck at the start of each season
- Additional drilling is needed so you will need to have a power drill ready in your shed.
- If there is any rocking, you need to apply the anchors better and retighten all the nuts and bolts
Tips on Cementing the Anchors
- Dig 4 holes that can accommodate the size of a large bucket (example empty paint bucket) beside each leg
- Once dug, place the buckets in until they are flush with the ground surface
- Backfill the sides of the bucket
- Make a concrete mix using cement, sand and gravel in a large wheel barrow and mix thoroughly
- Attach the anchors to the legs and place down into the bucket at an angle
- Pour in the concrete mix, tap to level off and let them sit overnight undisturbed.
Part 4: Price Comparison and Alternatives to Consider
If you wish to compare prices across the market, then take a quick look through the options provided below…
Have you or your kids any personal experience with the Plum Colobus Swing Set in the past? If so, then please share your thoughts and feedback with the wider UK community by leaving a comment in the comment section below – So that they can learn also!!!
Finally, many thanks for taking the time to read our review and best of luck to you and your children with your final decision